Safety Tips to Prevent Package Thefts in South Jersey This Christmas
This will be a big week for the 2019 holiday shopping season.
Last minute Christmas shoppers will shop online looking for that last minute Christmas gift.
According to the website Fortunly, last year, we spent an average of $1,536 on Christmas presents with many gifts being purchased online. 60% of us actually prefer to buy our gifts online.
This also means more packages than ever will be delivered to homes this holiday season. Some companies are closely monitoring your online activities to cut down on online shopping from the workplace, according to the New York.CBS.local.com.
Tis the season for not having your packages stolen from would-be thieves this Christmas. According to Ring.com, the time after Black Friday and Cyber Monday are prime days for package theft. This year the U.S.Postal Service will deliver over 900 million packages this Christmas.
Here are some tips on how to keep your gifts safe from would-be thieves this Christmas.
1. Have your packages shipped to another location. If it's allowed, have your packages sent to where you work.
2. Require a signature for your delivery. Many companies offer this feature. It's not as convenient but its an effective way to make sure you get your packages.
3. Hold your packages. May companies will hold your packages for you to pick up including Amazon, Fed Ex Office and The UPS Store.
4. Home lock box. This could be an expensive option but, it will keep your packages safe.
5. Install security cams. You would be able to keep an close eye on your Christmas packages and on your home at all times with this technology. Posting a sign that your premises are protected is another way of cutting down package thefts.
6. Neighborhood watch. Start a neighborhood network where neighbors can keep an eye out for one another.
7. Amazon Locker. Consider opening an Amazon locker where you can get your packages at a secure location.
Sources: nycbslocal.com, Blog Ring, usps.com fortunly.com
More From Lite Rock 96.9 WFPG: