Beach Sweeps Will Clean Up Even the Kitchen Sink on Saturday
Once again, Clean Ocean Action is gearing up to help keep our South Jersey beaches clean and they could use your help.
Volunteers will gather at beaches all over South Jersey this Saturday, Oct 23, with gloves and trash bags to help keep our beautiful beaches clean during the 37th annual Beach Sweeps.
This Saturday's Beach Sweeps run from 9 am to 12:30 pm at the following Atlantic and Cape May County beaches:
- Atlantic City - S. Albany Ave Boardwalk
- Brigantine - 17th St. Beach, South
- Longport - 33rd and Atlantic Ave
- Margate - Granville Ave
- Ventnor City - Newport Avenue Beach
- Avalon - 30th St W and Avalon Ave (
- Cape May
- Nature Center of Cape May
- 2nd Avenue Beach
- North Wildwood - Hereford Inlet Beach
- Ocean City - Ocean City Music Pier
- Stone Harbor - 95th Street Beach
- Villas - Beach at Village Rd and Bay Dr
- Wildwood Crest - Centennial Park
Clean Ocean Action always releases a list of the odd things they find during their Beach Sweeps and in 2020 that included a windshield, a car tire, a refrigerator door, and, yes, a kitchen sink and counter!
Of course, there are the predictable discarded items like face masks, candy wrappers, plastic bottles, straws and caps, and lots and lots of cigarette butts, even though smoking has been outlawed on most New Jersey beaches.
Thinking of coming out to help? Here are some things Clean Ocean Action wants you to know:
- Volunteers are required to pre-register for their selected Beach Sweeps location at CleanOceanAction.org.
- Volunteers must complete the registration individually. By registering individually, each volunteer can sign the required waiver electronically.
- Parents/legal guardians must register and sign the waiver on behalf of minors (under age 18).
- Members of a family, as well as each member of a group, must register individually.
- Volunteers are encouraged to participate in the Beach Sweeps with family members, household members, and small social groups. Groups of 2-3 are ideal. Dress for the weather.
- Wear gloves, sunscreen, and closed hard-soled shoes
- While cleaning, be careful of sharp objects. Don't pick up anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.
Check-in starts at 9 AM on Saturday, Oct 23rd - rain or shine.