South Jersey High School Baseball Top 20 Rankings
The Cape-Atlantic League and South Jersey high school baseball season is underway, with some big games already in the books.
This season promises to be one of the most unique in CAL history., with a new schedule format that features two games series with division opponents. The new format has already provided plenty of splits and making the division races very interesting.
We have already seen Ocean City and Mainland split games. Holy Spirit and Cedar Creek split their two game set.
In combing through the South Jersey baseball teams after the first 10 days of the season, there are some teams that have that stood out with some outstanding performances in the early portion of the season.
So let's take a look at this weeks 97.3 ESPN, BFA Sports/SJ Baseball Coaches Association Top 20.
(Cape-Atlantic League teams in bold)
1. St. Augustine (3-0): Had a big win over Gloucester Catholic at the Coaches vs Cancer Classic.
2. Kingsway (5-0): Some impressive wins, including Gloucester Catholic and Bishop Eustace.
3. Shawnee (3-1): A nice win over Cherokee early in the season.
4. Gloucester Catholic (3-2): A nice opening season win over Clearview.
5. Bishop Eustace (3-2): A big win over Jackson Memorial at the Coaches vs Cancer Classic.
6. Cherokee (3-1): The Chiefs knocked off Holy Spirit at the Coaches vs Cancer Classic.
7. Egg Harbor Twp. (2-0): The Eagles have been rained out a bunch in the early going.
8. Delran (2-1): The Bears knocked off Bishop Eustace.
9. Ocean City (1-3): The Red Raiders split with Mainland
10. Lenape (3-0): Went on the road to beat a solid Millville team.
11. Northern Burlington (4-0): The Greyhounds have a nice win over Delran.
12. Paul VI (2-0): The Eagles took care of Bordentown in the opener.
13. Mainland: Had a come from behind win over Clearview at the Coaches vs Cancer Classic and knocked off Ocean City.
14. Moorestown (1-0): The Quakers knocked off Burlington Township.
15. Williamstown (1-2): The Braves have two tough losses to Kingsway and Gloucester Catholic.
16. Cherry West (2-1): The Lions knocked off Camden Catholic.
17. Millville (2-1): Two solid wins over Hammonton and Ocean City.
18. Audubon (2-1) The Green Wave lost to Kingsway.
19. Holy Spirit (4-2): The young Spartans split with Cedar Creek and knocked off Delsea.
T19. St. Joe's (2-0): The Wildcats opened the season with a win over West Deptford.